An award to honor Empire Runners’ members who have given exemplary service and dedication to our club and to the running community in general.
At the club meeting on September 22, a proposal was made and approved by the board to create to annual award to honor members whose efforts have enabled the ideals of Empire Runners to grow and prosper over the forty or so years of its existence. Called The Spirit of the Club it will be earned by members whose volunteer work with the club and beyond has significantly benefited the running community through ongoing encouragement, motivation and demonstration of skills and behavior.
Purpose: To honor Empire Runners Club members for significant contributions to Empire Runners of Sonoma County
and acknowledge long-time service to sports and athletics in Sonoma County.
- active membership in Empire Runners for 10 years or more. Years of membership need not be consecutive.
- significant contributions to the successes of the Empire Runners Club
- significant contributions to the furtherance of youth or adult athletics through coaching or other activities that engage others in positive physical activities
There is no age limit to selection for the Spirit of the Club Award
All club members are potentially eligible for the selection of the award. Any club member may nominate any other club member.
Awards will be made annually at the club party
Prospective recipients must be nominated by another club member
Nominators are responsible for collecting information relevant to the prospective inductees’ consideration for the Award and forwarding it to the selection committee
Photos and news articles featuring the nominee will be appreciated
Nominations must be received by November 1 for consideration for the next year’s selections
Recipients will receive a commemorative plaque and a book containing the biographies and contributions of all Spirit of the Club Award members
A maximum of three Spirit of the Club Awards will be given each year
A Spirit of the Club committee will review all applications and will select the honorees
Suggested questions for Spirit of the Club nominators can ask of nominee: (Don’t forget to write the responses. They will be used in the selection process for Spirit of the Club.)
- What motivated you to join Empire Runners and about when did you join?
- What are some things you have done over the years to benefit Empire Runners? Include dates if possible. Include volunteer opportunities and club leadership roles.
- What are some things you have done over the years to benefit youth and/or adult sports and fitness awareness? Include organizations with which you have been or continue to be affiliated with (formally or informally). Include volunteer opportunities and organization leadership roles. Include dates if possible.
- What has inspired you over the years to continue providing help or guidance to others in the areas of youth and/or adult fitness and wellness?
- In what ways do you believe the needs of youth or adults to participate in sports and/or fitness and wellness activities have changed over the years of your involvement?
- What suggestions can you offer to encourage others to become involved in volunteer and/or leadership roles in activities that benefit youth and/or adults?